Sanctuary Renovation Project
We have finally arrived at the completion of our first major renovation of our Sanctuary Chancel since 1956! Come worship with us and see the results of months of hard work.
- The 9 a.m. and the 11 a.m. services will both be held in the Sanctuary on Sunday, November 18, 2018.
- The 8 a.m. Chapel service is cancelled on November 18 so all can worship in the newly renovated space.
- A photo of the entire congregation will be taken from the balcony at the end of each service and copies will be made available to all.
- A slideshow of the transformation of the Sanctuary will be running in the Great Hall for viewing.
- A reception follows each service in the Great Hall.
We hope to see you on Sunday, November 18 as we worship God and celebrate this momentous development in the life of our church home.
Below is a list of the improvements made over the course of this project:
Sanctuary Renovations 2018
- Bring communion table closer to the congregation and return it to the 1956 size and design
- Remove choir stalls
- Face choir toward the congregation and use flexible seating
- Increase usable space
- Angle pulpit and lectern so they are more inviting
- Add handrails and lift for greater accessibility
- Remove brick under the organ screens and replace with crosscut Travertine
- New ceiling
- Improved lighting
- New speaker array and microphones
- Refurbish and refinish pews
- More space between pews
- New end caps on pews to prevent splitting
- New pew cushions (arriving soon!)
- Fill in north and south aisle doors near chancel using brick reclaimed from under organ screens
- New carpet
- Replace lights in existing pendants and sconces with LED bulbs
- New ceiling design and lighting
- New speaker system
- Front doors refinished
- Side doors replaced
- Benches and trim refinished
- New porch lighting
- New cabinetry and countertops
- New flooring
- New ceiling and lighting
- Relocate door that leads to chancel
- Asbestos abatement
- New paint
- New sound system, audio board, and assisted listening devices
- Stained Glass cleaning and protection (funded separately)
- New Roof (funded separately)
Many thanks to the Sanctuary Improvement Committee
Michelle Goodwin, chairperson
Karl Travis, staff resource